CHINS (Services) (16.1-278.4)
In cases of children in need of services, the judge has the power to order the following remedies at disposition:
- Require a public agency to provide particular services to the child or the child’s family.
- Permit the child to remain with his or her parent(s) subject to conditions or limitations.
- Order the parent with whom the child is living to participate in programs, cooperate in treatment or comply with conditions and limitations that the court specifies.
- In the case of a child over fourteen who is not able to benefit from further schooling, excuse the child from compulsory school attendance or allow the child to be employed.
- Permit social services or a public agency to place the child in suitable family homes, child caring-institutions, residential facilities, or independent living arrangements but with legal custody remaining with the parents or guardians.
- Transfer legal custody to any of the following: (a) A relative or other person who is qualified to care for the child, (b) A child welfare agency or private group, (c) The local board of public welfare or social services.
- Require the child to participate in a public service project under such conditions as the court prescribes.
If you need legal advice call us now at (757) 491-0240 or (757) 619-5304